Friday, May 29, 2009

Dr. Rosalie H. Franks


Dr. Franklin Littell's scholarship, kindness, and warmth inspired me to teach about the lessons of the Holocaust that I learned from interviewing 92 survivors for the Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation from 1994-1999. Starting in 1995 the Scholars' Conference helped me immeasurably to educate myself and my students about the annihilation of the Jews.

I became better acquainted with Franklin when I traveled with him and Marcie during the Richard Stockton College's Lest We Forget Graduate Study Tour of Lithuania, Poland, and Hungary. In spite of his advanced years in 2003, Franklin continued to lecture about the early warnings of genocide and educators' responsibility to teach students about the lessons derived from history and the past. He was a provocative and inspiring teacher.

I loved Franklin's infectious sense of humor, his sharp intellect, his willingness to listen, and, most of all, his openness to educators needing to study and learn from his wisdom. I will miss Franklin's smile and curiosity about his students and the world.

Marcie was a wonderful helpmate and, fortunately, we have her to carry on his revolutionary scholarship. She like Franklin are a blessing to all of us.

My condolences to Marcie and her family.

Rosalie H. Franks, Ed.D.
Roger Williams University
Department of Writing Studies, Rhetoric , and Composition

No comments:

Post a Comment